Friday, May 20, 2005

The Quotable Mr. Kirson

"Remember bro, I'm a caveman"


"No problem, no problem... I go with the flow... like water on a rock"

"When you get to the Metreon call me and I'll tell you how far away I am"
"You know what bro, there are more ATMs than payphones here!"

A 10 year overdue meeting is no longer in deficit.

__________________________________

The grayhound station in SF: Afterhours: Its a sketchy sketchy place.

Sitting waiting for Mr. Kirson to arrive from S.D. Couple comes in, man is saggin' really low like a b-boy. He walks past me as I read the Guardian looking for the skinny on what's going down this weekend. He inserts a five dollar bill into a vending machine; The machine eats his money and doesn't give him anything.

His girlfriend, a skinny blond with a large umbrella under her arm comes around. We have to go, "I aint leavin' without my muthafucken five dollahs"

She goes to see the sole ticket seller behind the counter. At the same time two security guards are trying to wake up a man completely passed out in the hallway. The light is a very sterile kind of flourescence without illuminating anything. It cast more shadows than it dispelled. Maybe it was the karma of the terminal.

She comes back telling him that they don't have the key to the machine. "We have to go we're going to mis sour buss, I'll give you the five dollars on Monday."

"I aint going, I want mah muthafucken money."

"Baby, if you love me you'll stop this and come away."

"Fuck that, I want my money"

"If you keep this up they'll call the cops and you'll wind up in jail"

"Shut up bitch!"

WHACK!

I didn't see him slap her in the head, only her double up next to me and scamper off, and he walked off in antoher direction. Cops arrived 5 minutes later to wake the drunk and get him up. She came back "Did you see the guy that was causing all that trouble?"

I pointed to the hall he disapeared down.

She went back to the cops.

I heard the bus pull up.

I walked out onto the run way an there was Mr. Kirson...

Lingering thought: That was your chance to leave a man who thought you were worth less than five dollars. Yet you pleaded for him to go. He was perfectly happy sitting there waiting for someone with a key that may or may not materialize tomorrow (more likely not as those were independantly owned machines). You had your chance.

I will never understand obsession with that kind of misery. It's an odd safety being able to expect despair... to be able to say this is my lot, and that's just all there is to it.

I saw a man sitting on the stairs, he had the most inwardly terrified stare I've seen in a long time.

No comments: