Friday, September 09, 2005

Inspired by Susanna Kittredge's Lost Tales of Me

Three fragments:


Its just a matter of irony
and wine that when poured
seemed to fill the room
before it filled our glasses
we raised then lowered
mechanically mingling
with what we haven’t quite
yet introduced to ourselves
________

Last week I was inspired
to write a family history
but I couldn’t get past
my grandmother,
she’s rightly the beginning
when she told my mother
“fine, you can stay, but
I’m taking my grandson.”
so mom came too.
________

I’ve met you here before
I said to the woman
borrowing a face
while she wiped away
the reflection from behind the bar
a pair of legs dangled
slowly missing the point
that trapeze never belonged
in a suitcase or a painting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.