Saturday, September 24, 2005

NYC - Turn me loose...

I pilfered the title from Heather Hazuka's NYC Turn Me On. I remember stumbling across it in our submission piles when on staff for Fourteen Hills. I argued strongly for its includionin the journal because I found the language, well, provacative; its about a one night stand. I just spent my first night, since the last one back in '99, in NYC. Sleeping at the Carlton was nice, it was nice and sanitary. With the curtains drawn it was like any other room, anywhere else, at any time of the year: non-descript. Last night thought, on Masha's floor, in something of a "hot summer" night, the window open, amidst a symphony of crickets and rustling of leaves, I kind of felt like I was sleeping "in" the NYC that lives in the imagination.

Before drifting off into the wild blue yonder, I stuck my head outside. Night is vastly brighter here, its not a deep thick night like one might hope. No, there's so much light polution in the city that the night has ceased to be itself. It almost feels like someone has found a way to illuminate the white in the clouds and turn the night sky into a Turner like spectacle. Last night at the Guggenheim I saw several paintings that were absolutely marvelous landscapes. One was called The Ninth Wave, and another was simply entitled Night. I can't remember their artists, its in the cataloug I purchased but I don't feel like getting that at this moment, no, but the sky had that strange iradescence that can only happen through the fancy of an artist's eye.

Oh, I've finally figured out the Subway here. I have a sense of direction and know what the "diirection" of the trains means in terms of where I'll wind up. I took the train from our downtown office to Brooklyn, and then eventually back into the city to the Guggenheim in Midtown. The whole Bronx vs. Brooklyn, north to south and the east to westness of the streets vs. the avenues: I get it. I had a slice of pizza on the way back to Brooklyn, it was damn good... damn good... and I'm not the biggest fan of new york style pizza. I've always pictured myself as more of deep dish Chicgao kind of pizza lover...

The museum was amazing. There's a historical exhibit on right now called "Russia!" It starts with early icons and progresses through the centuries up through 20th century and into the present sort of work that features a parodied marlboro sign saying simply: "Malevich Sold Out." I finally made it. I've been dreaming about visiting the Guggenheim for years and years and years. I walked that spiral gallery marveling at the architecture and the art that's completely hidden from view when you stand at the base of the serpent's trail. Its stunning, FLW really hit one out of the park with that building. The Chagal and Kandinsky collections were out, or selections fromthem, and the permanent collection that features Cezanne, Degs and a slew of Picassos that range from just post traditionalist to the 1930s cubism that devolved from earlier forms of into the pure abstract shapes and simple color tones of the final modality of that movement, all were represented.

From there it was back to Brooklyn, say it with me, Broowk-lynn. Oh I had a new york moment: what is that do you ask? It has to do with language and the thick new york accent that I hear all around me. When I walked into the Houston (say it, House-ton, not Hue-ston) street station. I knew I had to take the two train to Brooklyn but all the signs said 1 train. I went down, bought my metro card, went through the turnstile, hoping to find an agent at a booth, but nada and then walked around. I walked to the far end of the platform and then saw the agent. Walked out from the platform and asked him if the 2 passed through and where to catch the train into Brooklyn. He said to transfer at Chambers. He was covered with tattos, had that "nuyorican" look about him and wore some thick chains. I asked if I had to pay to get back onto the platform. He said "didj you jus come from dthere?" "Yeah" I repleid... and then it happened "Just walk through the gates baby." Yeah, with the perfect amount of self assured sass and that accent taht I love, and I passed through just in time ot catch the 2. Perfect.

No comments: