Saturday, June 24, 2006

Captain Mini Rides Again!

Ok folks... I rule, just plain and simple. So as I've said before we've been stealing internet access from some local wireless network that hasn't been secured. Well a few days ago we lost it, not the signal, but the ability to get out on the internet. Everyone thought we were "locked out", but I looked at the connection and noticed that it was still registering as an unsecured wireless link. I had a thought, well what if this person is a dolt and has no clue how to lock down a router, to change the default gateway and the HTML interface from 192.168.1.1 to something that can't quite guess... guess what, I was right, they're idiots... when the page came up for the router config I knew I was going to be a "golden god". D-Link, well guess what, I have one of these puppy's at home, the router that is, and I know the factory default password and guess what, they didn't even bother to change that, so I gave myself permission to crawl into their router, rebooted it and viola, we're back online. Oh I so rule... and those with wireless laptops in the hotel are going to be buying me free beer till the day I leave! This is a good ego day night for Len.

I tell you, I could really use it. I've spent the day greating new arrivals, saying goodbye to people leaving, and contemplating when I will have time to make it to several museums that I'm craving to explore, like another day at the hermitage, the defense of leningrad, the russian museum, nabokov museum and the peter paul fortress which is a really cool place to walk aout... just one of my favorite strolls on a clear day, walking atop the ramparts that held the prisoners just before the Russian Revolution. V. I. Lenin's brother was executed in the fortress which sits as an island inthe nevya, well the island is really just a moat that drains into the Nevya, but its quite beautiful.

Monday I leave for Brussels which is going to be a full day of plane plane and train travel through Moscow and Amsterdam to my final desitnation. I'm looking forward to the air conditioning of the Hilton and even a long bath with a glass of scotch. Oh yes, the bath and the shower tub, marbled, maybe even full of chanel number five, a la Trainspotting. I'm going to spend tomorrow morning running errands, buying vodka, packing and preparing for my trip. I still have to arrange the cab ride to Pulkova Airport and then buy some vodka for the boys in brussels... I'm going to beg JD to bring back a liter to california with him so I can have "more" than I'm allowed when I get home. Speaking of which, I better call the parentals who were enjoying a day in a birch forest on the Kazakstan border eating "zemlinika" from the bush, to remind them to buy Russian Standard Platinum for me to bring back home... after 2 years of buying it for everyone else, I'm buying it for myself this year damn it!

Oh so the boat ride last night, awesome, can't wait to post the pics when I get on a faster line. The crimson sail schooner was on the river, fireworks, classical music from the bridges and the mass of teenagers and military cadets marching up and down nevsky prospect... it was awesome, just awesome... wish you all could've been there...


Ok, I think I had better sign off and or get to bed, cause its late and I have a shit load of crap to do tomorrow... so, from st. pete's shislivo... xo!

No comments: