Tuesday, July 17, 2007

To teach

Listening to NPR: story about Cardinal Mohoney in LA, snippets of victims voices etc. "I was a cradle catholic, I waited to the 11th hour to file suite against the church that taught me how to love God." I find this strange, that a church teaches you to love God, I thought it was something that existed within everyone, or most, this concept of Love and that the act of Love itself was that of G-d? Does Love have to be focused upon the image of a bearded figure in order to realize the act of it? Or is it in the fact that one can experience love for another being, another thing, the thingness of l-o-v-e that in and of itself is a manifestation of the divine? So the church that taught her how to do it, isn't it only riding the coat tails of a capacity that exists within each person to begin with? Sure direction, focus, right-way-of-life, a sense of noble purpose etc, but really, the core of it all, the love, the basic tenets of J.C., isn't that just common sense? I don't know... maybe, but that phrase struck me as incredibly strange.

No comments: