Saturday, June 23, 2007

All things cultural

I think I've sworn them off... seriously... I'm tired of this cities cultural what nots and I've done very little of it last week. I've been bumming around, reading and sitting in coffee houses having good conversations. There's been a bit of work since Timur, one of our local assistants broke his leg in a scooter accident. This group has been mellow and amazingly enough the cops have been very mellow. The locals have told me that there's been a crack down of sorts on the police. I haven't had a sideways glance from the cops yet. When we did go to Datcha/Fidel's that one night with the nazis dwarf and his amazonian companion, I didn't see but one or two cop cars rolling by the joint, and there was the one parked near the hotel with the two cops that looked to be more asleep than on duty. It's strange I tell you, maybe after that McDonald's was bombed the cops finally realized that there's more to be done in protecting the public good than shaking down tourists for money... then again that's probably just wishful thinking.

So tonight the French group AIR is playing in an outdoor park called Stereoleto. The decision is between this and a group called Pepsi, Russian group, which I've been told is quite good. The other uncertainty is that tonight is "The last bell". Nevsky prospect will be closed this evenning for the mass "march" of cadets and high school graduates up and down the street. There will be lots of broken glass, lots of singing, lots of pubescent hormones ragining, fireworks, red sails and other nutiness ALL NIGHT LONG. Kind of one of those magical nights really... I just wish there was a high up perch from which I could photograph this stupidity rather than from the thick of the crowd. No matter where we go, we will ultimately run into this bunch of crazed young lunatics.

We did a boat ride the other night, it was the night before the solstice. Parker mixed up the dates of the actual solstice, bbut technically we were on the water when the solstice happened, or started, something like that, it was a Solstice boat ride god damn it. One of the whitest nights i can remember, really marvelous. New touches have been added to the Peter Paul fortress, they've put lights along the walls that transition in rainbow colors... PRIDE? Not likely... but it's nice to think that this city might some day develop an open mind. The fountains in the middle of Nevsky were booming and booming, it was great.... just great... lots of beer, cuban cigars and more beer...

Oh I did have my grudge match with Igor, it was a Tie, no winners no losers. The bastard was cheating like a bastard! I mean really cheating, he was twisting that wrist, I think he knows that I'm the superior male and will destroy him this year... we're going to go at it once more I'm sure, most upsetting his less than noble/honorable approach to our annual grudge match.

Mmonday I'm heading to Nevsky's Monastary and maybe the Nicholevsky church on Fontanka to see if they rebuilt it. Tomorrow is a farewell dinner for Jenya who will be taking the morning train back to Moscow. I'm off to have breakfast wiith the Gusev sisters at Zoom. At the moment all my compatriots and cohorts are having a board meeting at The Office and my cell phone hasn't once rang, so this is a good thing... maybe I'll go sneak around the city. I've already been to the camera shop, no cheap wide angle lenses... *sigh* I've been completely anti shopping, even the idea of goingg and buying liters of vodka seems like too much effort... I've just been sitting a bit... strangne times I tell you friends, strange times indeed....

Shislivo..

1 comment:

gkraios said...

AWESOME reading about your adventures; however, I would like to see more pics of hot Russian chicks! ;-)