Thursday, June 14, 2007

It started like a three hour cruise...

I'm not quite in St. Petersburg, I'm most of the way there, but not quite there. It all went awry in New York. The flight to London was delayed by 2 hours. I knew then that I'd miss my connection in Heathrow to St. Petersburg but I had no clue that it would add a fourth flight for me to get to Russia. I'm now in my 4th airport in less than a day drinking a half liter of Weissbier (have you guessed where I am?) viva la Munich Deutschland. The lounge here is quite lovely and the music and natural light that fills this seemingly endlass expanse of glass and polished steel is quite lovely. Had I more energy I'd definately photograph it but breaking out the camera gear is more effort than I have energy for. I've been nodding off in strange places, but we don't have long to go now, not long at all, just another 3 bloody hours! I've no clue if my luggage will be getting off the plane with me in St. Petersburg, I really hope it does, I could use a fresh change of clothing and oh how lovely does a bar of soap sound? I'm due to arrive in St. Petersburg at 12:40 in the morning, so it should still be light out, *snicker snicker*. My rusty German has come in handy here, I remebered how to say, entschuldigung, wie spate ist es? Which got me the time, and a few other words and decoded bits of conversation. This is one of two accomplishments thus far. I'm bumed, I should be just finishing dinner at Suliko and sucking down shots of vodka or maybe just a few beers under the arms of Katuzov near Kazanskay Cabor, but alas, I'm in Munich. To be perfectly honest I'm half tempted to just go through customms and explore. The weather is brilliant here, warm and lovely and I could use a hotel bed. I've a feeling I'm going to be sleeping on the couch in the office tonight as we won't be able to assume ownership of the mini hotel until Friday night or Saturday morning. No rest for the wicked I guess. Zach and Beth, if you're reading this, your vodaphone sim card saved me! When I arrived in London I quickly switched out sims to my megaphone and found there was no signal, big surprise, then I swtiched to Vodaphone and saw mega bars. There was exactly 1 penny on the card so I topped it off at the Vodaphone counter in Heathrow and began to scrible numbers out of my phone on my palm with appropriate country dialing codes of folks in St. Pete's. I managed to get a hold of Katia: Katia who took down my flight number and said she'd make sure someone would meet me. I saved her or whoever was going to be waiting for my non arriving ass at the airport a trip to Pulkova, there'll be plenty of that over the next few days. Right, so that's where things stand now... The master plan is still in full effect, meat on a stick and white nights, it just had to wait nearly six hours and a few stops... bloody hell... I've been the geriatric crusader since I landed in NYC. I've been helping old people get their luggage off of moving belts and just before I deplaned in Munich I had to help an elderly woman undo her seat buckle. She was very sweet, telling me about going to Bavaria where she lives. She said she doesn't like cities, the air is cleaner where she is and it suits her pace of life. I think I would very much like to see where she lives, like right now, I'm sure there's excellent beer and a soft feather bed that smells of light starch and cedar if not birch. Then again, I'm only 3 hour flight from a really hot sauna and all the birch that my tuchus can tolerate. Other strange folks encountered on my sojourn thus far, I sat next to a girl over the Atlantic who was coming home to the UK after traveling for 4 1/2 months through Japan, Australia, Fiji and New York. She said she was bummed as she would have to find a job, but only for a few months as she was going back to the university. I was jealous. Then there was the south african Indian chap I had a smoke with in London who had been to SF and talked about our sourdough bread bowels filled with clam chowder. Sounds like he got a good dose of fisherman's wharf. Then there were the two German chaps that I met here in Munich who were also heading for this massive Terminal 2 to catch a connection to Munster. We found the gate to the bus stop and we were the ONLY people there, it was very strange, they said they had never seen it so abandoned. We all laughed when the bus driver finally opened a door and called for us to come out. I tell you I feel lost on the road without a watch. I know I'm in Germany where all the clocks run perfectly but my cell phone is kaput here and I'm timeless... I've been popping into Duty free shops in 3 countries looking for a resonably priced time piece, but alas, nothing that I like under 1300 quid. There were a couple nice cell phones in the UK that caught my eye, but that's as far as I went with that. Kris if you're reading this, Observatory Mansions is quite good, I'm totally digging it, it reads a bit like a Jean-Pierre Jeunet film plays, odd and slightly uncomfortable. The illustrations remind me of Edward Gorey, connection? The author's name is Edward Carey... who knows... or maybe like the Ralph Steadman illustrations in Fear & Loathing, just less ink splatters. Ah the beer is helping, a lot, beer, helping perpetuate the human race since the garden of eden and all that begetting and begatting. Oh one more odd duck that I rubbed elbows with: when I got off the plane in Heathrow I had to find the "connections" desk to figure out my future. A Russian woman was behind me and she kept inching up. Everytime I leaned against the snaking rail that guided the line she crept up to be nearly equal with me. I waited for her to try and pull a NASCAR like drafting move on me, at which point I would've unloaded as I was in no mood to be trifled with or surrender my position in line. I swung my backpack to which is strapped my tripod in her general direction a couple times like a stegasaurus warning her that there be spikes in this hump, and she finally got he message. This Soviet pushiness would not be tolerated, well I'm heading for a right fill of that Soviet rudeness, it's in my future, can't say I'm sad about it, but it one always needs a small does of it to remind one that this isn't Kansas anymore. The music in this airport is quite good... I'm digging it... Right, time to hit the WC and then find a squat by the gate. I'll bbe in touch soon... take care and auf wiedersehen.

No comments: